Tuesday 29 May 2012

OUGD303 Final Evaluation


OUGD303
Final Evaluation
Robyn Russell
Level 06
___


Within this module I wanted my practice to explore the relationship between branding and the consumer, focusing on the influences within brands that can form relationships with the consumers. Using the knowledge from my dissertation and research I wanted to use it to help inform the design decisions I  made. Within branding I wanted to investigate identity, logo design and the application across deliverables and I think with the briefs that I have chosen, I have had the opportunity to explore this due to the different nature of each branding brief. It was important to me that I try and make the products I produced within the brands as unique as possible, and one of the ways I looked into doing this was by using alternative print processes to produce the work and generate a professional aesthetic.  By constantly investigating and researching print methods/finishes, it allowed me to increase my knowledge whilst using those skills to apply the ideas to the work in the most appropriate way. One main element I wanted to achieve by the end of this module was to speck up job(s) to print, that meant budgeting and costing, helping my work have a real world application, for example the yearbook brief. Again, by carefully choosing the briefs that I worked on they allowed me to do this, and achieve what I set out to do originally.

Throughout this module my research and investigation has really helped shape the way that I have tackled the briefs. I found in the last module that the more informed I was the easier it was to make the right decisions for the brief. So, I spent a lot of time trying to get the right research that was relevant to the progression of the brief, be this through online research, the books I read in my dissertation to the visits I went on. I have tried to speak to professionals as much as possible within this module to help try and get a more rounded view and look at my briefs to try and push the potential, and help contextualize my work. This was made a lot easier because of my design context brief, this brief allowed me to contact studios and get some really valuable advice as to what branding is about where I should be focusing my efforts to make it an experience. My dissertation really helped shape the avenues I wanted to explore within branding, giving me a reference point to work from, it also gave me a lot of knowledge on the topic, allowing me to focus my research in branding on the areas I was interested in exploring.

With regards to my briefs, they did change quite a lot from my initial statement of intent. From altering the brief to get the best out of it, or changing the brief completely in order to develop my skills and further my knowledge in an area I thought was lacking. At the beginning of each brief I set myself aims that I wanted to achieve, and although sometimes the concepts may have changed the aims still stayed the same. It was important to me that within the branding briefs I chose to prove that the identity’s worked, which involved a lot of experimentation and exploration into the brands and what would best show its identity. One big learning curve that spanned over from the last module too, was the fact that processing takes a long time and this meant that I really had to manage my time effectively in order to produce the style of work that I wanted. I have really pushed my time management and organisation skills because of this, as I really wanted to push my briefs as much as possible.

Throughout this module, I wanted to improve my industry contact either through research visits, like the one to Pressision print. Speaking to professionals that visited the College, or at organized networking events. I also outsourced within this module, which helped me learn about specking up work to send to printers/engravers/embroiders.

There is a lot that I have learnt from each brief within this module, I chose briefs specifically that tackled different areas of branding and processes allowing me to further my knowledge in work as a professional designer.
For example my Cleo Tavern brief allowed me to explore heritage within branding, and couple it with modern design to create aesthetically tactile products, involving processes which I had been experimenting with within my other briefs. My Lulu brief allowed me to explore more processing to enhance the deliverables, using alternative print methods such as laser cutting onto acrylic and creating my own rastered printing plate, to create my own embossed stock. One of my more substantial briefs with regards to the exploration of processes was within my Dylan Thomas brief, this brief allowed me to play around with a range of different finishes, which then in turn helped me make more informed decisions as to what finishes would be appropriate to use within my other briefs. Although not everything worked perfectly in this brief, and certain processes didn’t work this allowed me to develop a way around the problem. I think the brief that really allowed me to push my processing skills and concept skills was within my ISTD brief, this brief forced me to think outside the box and create work using alternative print methods and substrates, which again informed some of the choices I made in my other briefs. As well as exploring branding and processes, I also got to further my skills within publication design and on-screen delivery. I used these elements within my Dylan Thomas brief, ISTD brief, Cleo Tavern, Yearbook and, Branding brief. These briefs gave me a very different look into publication and editorial design, from the very set out publication within the yearbook, and the more experimental format within my Branding brief.
I think the brief that really pushed me, and I enjoyed the most was my Branding brief. This brief essentially formed from a culmination of my PPD module, my DC publication and my dissertation. Forming a topic and concept that I was really interested in allowed me to push my skills in concept development, as well as incorporating the new skills I had been working on such as; Photoshop, on-screen design and publication formats.
I think that the hardest and most challenging brief within this module, was the Yearbook brief that I did. The brief didn’t go exactly how I wanted it to go, and it was difficult from start to finish. I thought that I would gain a lot more design experience from it, but instead I feel that I learnt more about how to communicate with difficult clients. However, that isn’t a bad thing as I can take this away with me into my future profession.

Throughout this module I have learnt a lot of new things, as well as pushing the things I learnt from the last module such as the importance of idea generation in order to exploit the potential within briefs. I have also pushed hard to develop my organization skills, which in turn has led to me making quicker decisions and generating clear design work. I have also learnt how to work with difficult clients, and how to handle large groups of people. Within this module I have worked on small jobs, with quick turn around times and short deadlines which has led me to use my organization skills and time management skills to get the work done and delivered to the best of my ability. Within certain briefs I have also collaborated, which hasn’t always been easy and it has meant that I have had to learn how to work alongside other designers and how to cooperate in an effective way, which is a skill that will be extremely useful in the future.
By talking to professionals I realized that I needed my work to explain concepts more readily, and this is something I have been working on with my briefs trying to get the ideas across clearly. I think one of the most valuable skills I have learnt is specking up a job to go to production print, and if things go wrong how to counter them and where to fix them. This is vital for when I go into industry, and its something that I feel more confident in now. Apart from the skills I have learnt within the briefs, I have also improved my software skills, which is extremely important to me. One of the main improvements lying in design for on-screen delivery, this was something at the beginning of the module I wasn’t sure I would get involved in, however as my briefs developed and I needed to use it I began developing my skills. This has actually made designing for on-screen a lot less daunting.

From this module and the last year there will be a lot that I can take with me into my future, such as; working with live clients, meeting deadlines, pitching, achieving professional work, specking jobs for print, concept ability and most importantly confidence in my ability to work.

I feel that I have pushed myself within this module and through my investigation into branding and the consumer interaction; I have a better understanding of the industry. My research and development throughout this module into print processes has really helped me work on my concepts and professional skills with regards to specking for print. I feel I now have a design practice that I am confident in, and design work I’m proud of. 

No comments:

Post a Comment