Tuesday 29 May 2012

Brief 5 - ISTD Evaluation


Brief 5 – ISTD

This brief was an opportunity for me to explore the relationship between alternative print process and generating info graphics. Previously I had never created info graphics, so it was a chance to gain some skills, generating research working through it, analysing it and ultimately picking the most relevant information that I needed. It was also an opportunity to bring together the skills I had developed with the laser cutter and working with alternative print substrates to develop and push this brief. I really wanted to try and create something that was unique in its manufacture and content. Using the original ISTD brief as a springboard to create a brief that allowed me to explore the areas I was interested in. As mentioned, I spent a lot of time researching this brief and analyzing the key facts I needed to portray in order to bring this brief together, I had to make decisions fairly fast due to the nature of the process I was going to use. This was because I knew that the processes I wanted to use would be extremely time consuming, and creating the posters took 3/4hours at a time. So I had to improve my time management and organization in order to get what I wanted done. This was probably the most efficient brief I have produced within this module, because I had a clear direction and I knew what I wanted to achieve. This brief turned out to be the sort of brief that I could keep expanding on, creating more poster boards, publication work and packaging. I think the main problems I encountered with this brief was the formatting, i.e getting the substrates to laser cut into, getting the fabric for the packaging and getting the publication printed. Due to the publication size I planned to outsource it in order to get it done digitally at Pressision, however this brought around problems in itself and unless I was willing to have 100 produced I wouldn’t be able to, so instead I came up with formatting it myself. All of these problems forced me to think outside the box, and this brief really allowed me to be as creative as possible whilst having a strong concept to play around with. I learnt more about the logistics of publications and again I got to work collaboratively across courses in order to create the packaging element. This brief allowed me to be inspired, which at times really helped me with my other briefs because it meant that the decisions I used in this brief could help inform decisions I made in other briefs, such as Brief 4 and Brief 2.
Although this brief is extremely concept driven and not something I will be necessarily producing once I graduate, it has really pushed me to think of alternatives when printing and really pushed my creative abilities. 



Ougd303 Brief 5

No comments:

Post a Comment