Tuesday 29 May 2012

Brief 4 - Dylan Thomas Evaluation


Brief 4 – Dylan Thomas Evaluation

This brief from the very beginning was about exploring processing and literature. Combining both my passions for process and literature. Although this brief did change at the beginning, it still stuck to the overall idea and concept I wanted. I wanted to use the literature and text to inform the design decisions and processes I used, and I found that I was beginning to use type to convey the concepts as much as the processes.
From the start I wanted this brief to run alongside all my other briefs, so that decisions I made in other briefs and this could work together to further my skills in processing and design. I really wanted to hone my skills with laser cutting within this brief, and try and come up with a co-hesive brand that could embody the brief totally. So I got to involve branding, and processing with a focus on literature, which was really good and it helped keep me inspired with regards to the other briefs I was working on.
I had come up with some quite ambitious design and processes, which unfortunately didn’t exactly work out every time. However this process of trial and error and persistence may not have helped completely in this brief, but allowed me to make more informed designs decision with regards to processes in my other briefs. Knowing what would work and what wouldn’t, which meant I could use the most appropriate solutions in other briefs to achieve what I wanted. I had to work around a lot of problems, for example digital print running out of vinyl and having to switch my stock and design to counter this. I think because I originally set out with thought out concepts behind each book, and quote it allowed me the freedom to make mistakes and create new solutions that would still work, and sometimes better than the original.
Also due to the fact that this brief was to span the entirety of this module, I had a lot of time to make mistakes and fix them, so I had to be organized and plan around when I wanted to do certain process, because certain process take longer than others such as screen printing as opposed to digital print.
This brief had been really important to me this module, it has allowed me freedom to have fun, whilst developing my skills in type work and processes. But I think more importantly it has allowed me to understand certain restrictions with the processes and how I can counter these problems, and help me make more informed design decisions with regards to my other briefs. 





Ougd303 Brief 4

No comments:

Post a Comment